Bloody beak from pecking... normal behavior?

Mulrich

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
Hey all! We have four 14 week old pullets. They are our first chickens so we are still learning normal behaviors.

One of our chickens has begun pecking another more consistently lately. This morning, she bloodied her beak. (Picture below) Is this normal behavior to have pecking that results in small cuts and blood?

Should I separate the aggressive chicken?
Should I separate the one who was pecked until the blood heals?

Any advice for a rookie would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• 0E4E246B-C8F9-491D-95EC-6ED0ECA090AC.jpeg
    0E4E246B-C8F9-491D-95EC-6ED0ECA090AC.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 34
Is this normal behavior to have pecking that results in small cuts and blood?
It's not abnormal.
This little wound?
1594729134210.png

I would not separate for that....
....unless the aggressor is relentlessly chasing, pinning down, and beating unmercifully, just let them work it out.

How much space do they have in coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Yes, more pictures would be helpful to be able to Help You solve Your flock issue. To clarify, the pictured pullet is the one being pecked at? Or is she the one thats doing the pecking?
The little wound that you circled looks to be superficial but, more details are needed to prevent further damage to her cute lil face.
Such as: Coop size: ex: 6' x 6' and run size ex: 14' x 24', breed of birds, feed use and of course we love pictures! Pictures with explainations help A LOT!

Hey all,

Yes, that is the little wound :p The pecking seemed to calm down after the two chickens hashed it out yesterday. One chicken, in particular, is pecking/biting my wife and daughter in what I assume is a display of attempted dominance. (This is also the one who was the aggressor). Maybe that jostled up the pecking order yesterday?

As for dimensions, the coop is 4x4 and the run is 8x10. Pictures are attached.

It's not abnormal.
This little wound?
View attachment 2242889

I would not separate for that....
....unless the aggressor is relentlessly chasing, pinning down, and beating unmercifully, just let them work it out.

How much space do they have in coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom