bloody beak last night and clear discharge this morning?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dbounds10, Aug 7, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    *Update - I checked her this morning and there are no more signs of blood and she is alert and active. However, she now has a clear NON SMELLY discharge from right nostril. I did a search but only found info about smelly discharge. What does she have and how should I treat it?

I got no responses last night so I am hoping this update helps me get some info.

I let my girls out to free range this evening and everyone was acting fine. About 15 minutes later one of my BR's was shaking her head alot and then was just sitting down and not doing much. I went to check on her and she seemed to have some blood coming from her mouth. It looked somewhat fresh but mixed in with dirt . I tried to open her mouth to see inside and she was having none of it. I rinse off her mouth and put her back outside. She was walking around a little but not pecking much. By this time everyone was going in to roost and she followed. She went in to bed and is now on the roost with everyone else. She did not appear to have any obvious injuries that I could see. I felt her crop and it seemed empty. I felt her belly but did not feel anything strange.

This is my first time with chickens so I have no idea what I am doing, she is my favorite girl and I am worried. What could be the problem?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. 21 wks BR
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. See Above
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just tonight for about 20 minutes before bed
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Seems ro be some blood around her mouth/beak
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Seemed to have normal eating and drinking today. Even went over and got a drink after i put her down
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. She pooped when I put her down and it was complete liquid, white and foamy
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing other than rinsing off her mouth with water
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Both
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. It was getting dark and she went to roost before I could get one
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They live in a 4x6 coop (6 birds) with a 216 sq ft run. Coop and run are both sand. free range for an hour each night

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Anyone?

3. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    bumping with an update this morning....anyone?

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Its possible she may have pecked or bit something pointy and cut her mouth or something. whatever came out of her nose may be snot. [​IMG]
    im no expert in emergencies/diseases/injuries and cures, but i saw that nobody else is helping you yet, so i thought id try!

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If she is acting fine and eating and drinking today, I would just keep a close watch on her...it's possible she pecked something sharp or tried to swallow something sharp and big and scratched the inside of her mouth. If she starts exhibiting symptoms of illness, I would then post an update and get more opinions. Sorry I can't be of more help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by