Bloody beaks.

albie2010

Hatching
Aug 23, 2016
Hello I am new to turkeys. I just purchased 5 bronze turkeys. They were 7 weeks old when I got them now they are 9 weeks. The week I got them we got tons of rain and they all became sick so I moved them to inside my barn in a clean stall. Giving them meds through their water and keeping it clean. They are all eating and drinking fine. When they first got sick they all had bloody beaks. But now two of my turkeys have bloody beaks and won't heal. The beaks actually appear to be deteriorating
1f44e-1f3fb.png
I will post pictures tomorrow morning!! Thanks! Any advise helps.

5 bronze turkeys. They were 7 weeks old when I got them now they are 9 weeks.

What were they being fed prior to your acquisition (if you know). What are you feeding them, now (ex: game bird starter x% protein)?

they all became sick

Lowered feed intake, lowered activity level, bunching up together, swollen faces, etc??? Any change in droppings? If so, describe.

Giving them meds through their water

What med(s), how much/how many days?

When they first got sick they all had bloody beaks. But now two of my turkeys have bloody beaks and won't heal. The beaks actually appear to be deteriorating. I will post pictures tomorrow morning.

Yes, good shots are always good. If youi have a problem uploading/linking from BYC, then use a free image host (think we still have a minimum post count for new members, before photos can be put up, to limit potential for spammers). Bloody beaks owing to delamination (layers of beak separating): possible fungal condition (very wet, recently) - in which case a med like Nystatin could be painted on/in beaks//possible nutrition/vitamin problem//possible mechanical injury owing to "pickers" - blood at bases of beaks in random locations - observe for some length, in one sitting, for this behavior (if any - unlikely, but it's not unknown).

Anyway, when you post the shots, please post as much as possible in the way of specific observations/interventions. And, welcome to BYC.

They were on a chick starter but once I got them I converted them to a 21% meat bird feed and cracked corn. They have always seemed energetic, never Lathargic and have always had a good appetite. Never swollen faces. Always felt nice plump and heathy. I can't think of the name of the meds I got them. They get 400mg per gallon of water. It's a yellow powder.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for posting the shots (that's got to hurt considering the sensitivity of beaks). O.K., these guys might have already been "sick" before you got them and the rain was one stress too many. I've only seen beak injury when turks are fenced with chicken wire and they are trying to get at one another from opposite sides of fencing (only scratches of outer cuticle - never breakage/sloughing away of upper beak (any damage to lower beak - gnathotheca?).

If they are still active and eating, I'd probably knock off any systemic antibiotic (if fungal - antibiotic can make it worse), separate out those with the most damage and start applying an antifungal ointment to the affected areas. I'm going to assume this is fungal (nail fungus is similar - both nails/beaks are keratin). To apply - use a small paint brush - apply thin layer daily (feeder could be modified so that in order to get beak into feed, the turk has to push beak under a cotton bandage/cloth impregnated with Minoxidil. If you have any Nystatin on hand you could try that, as well.

You do plan to eat these guys, yes?

Ok awesome. No damage to lower beaks. And yes I plan to eat them. As of today one started to limp all of the sudden. Last week one started to limp, 2 days later it couldn't walk at all. I ended up having to put it down. Was not getting any better. Any clue what that is from?

Ok awesome. No damage to lower beaks. And yes I plan to eat them. As of today one started to limp all of the sudden. Last week one started to limp, 2 days later it couldn't walk at all. I ended up having to put it down. Was not getting any better. Any clue what that is from?

Not much to be done other than add a vitamin supplement to the water and don't crowd them.

If you don't mind my asking, from what/whom did you acquire these Bronze?

A buddy of mine. He gets 90 a year as hatchlings. Then sells them as they get bigger. He takes them
Back right before thanksgiving and get them butchered

Back
Top Bottom