Bloody beaks.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hhiner, Dec 10, 2012.

1. hhiner

hhiner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    North Carolina
    I think my girls are setting up their pecking order, they are about 9-10 weeks old, and my daughter just ran in to tell me that several had bloody beaks. It is as if the tops of their beaks were scratched or pecked. There isn't a lot of blood, but I was wondering if there is anything I should or need to do for them. I know that some back and forth is normal during this process, but I don't want anyone getting an infection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Heather

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Use Blu Kote on the wounds. They can kill each other if there is too much blood. If you know which hen is the aggressor, you can separate her for a day. If that does not calm them down, you can get plastic clips for the beak that will stop the pecking but let them eat normally.

Good luck!

3. hhiner

hhiner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    North Carolina
    There is actually very little blood, but I will get the blu kote when the store opens tomorrow. I think I have figured out which bird it is, the Ameraucana, because when I checked on them this evening she was almost trying to herd the Delaware and scoot in front of her. Since it hasn't escalated beyond her grabbing beaks, do I still need to separate her? When do you know it has gone beyond the normal pecking order back and forth?

Thanks,
    Heather

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Keep and eye on her and if there is more blood, then separate her and consider the clips for the beak.

Good Job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by