Bloody, bloody,bloody, fighting roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheHenHen, Dec 15, 2012.

1. TheHenHen

TheHenHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2012
    Canada Amaranth
    Hello, I have two roosters, they are 6 mos old. They are fighting over and over again. When they do, they get so bloody and red, from their combs to the end of their capes. My mom's friend told her that the roosters have to fight to see who is the boss. But my dad is worried that they might kill each other. Are they going to kill themselves?? Do they have to fight to see who is boss??

Thanks!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They do have to establish dominance. In evenly matched roosters this can go on for a while. Yes, there is the possibility that one might kill the other. Chicken society is frequently cruel in our eyes.

3. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I keep 10-15 hens, and again and again try to keep 2-3 Roosters. With fighting, overmating, excessive crowing a roo always becomes soup. Keep the best, and eat the rest.

1 person likes this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Breed can be important which you did not indicate. With evenly matched I watch and break up if quarrel not resolved within 10 minutes or so. If both birds not game, biggest concern I have with such in confinement is that one will submit but other will not break off attack. That is where having birds outside or in a more complex environment helps so looser can get away. When birds of the long time fighting sort, I shorten duration by getting birds wet. Wetting them reduces their ability flog and makes them feel uncomfortable so that they are less capable of causing damage and also feel whooped.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Cool thread. :)

6. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    Totally agree with the addition keep the best (least agressive to your girls) and eat the rest.

Centrachis, that is a great tip (hosing them down) I'll remember that one.

Good luck with your boys let us know how it goes.

7. TheHenHen

TheHenHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2012
    Canada Amaranth
    Thank you for the information! They are Silver Laced Wyandottes. We live in Canada and it's winter right now so I don't think we can hose them down but I will remember that for the spring.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Silver-laced Wyandottes means white or grey hackle feathers. Any blood will be obvious making damage look worse than it is.

You can simply pick bird you like best and put other in his own pen. I pen virtually all my roosters and they do very well.

Next time show pictures, not all have seen how the roosters ding each other up.

9. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Rooster combs can bleed quite alot..making it look worse than it is. But if they are at it all day, you really ought step in and separate them. Somebody could loose an eye. Good advise to pen one up.

10. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

So, do I get to expect this problem when my roos get older? They were both born in early May and seem to get along far better than I'd have expected. One crows far more while the other mates the most. Much of the time either one will mate near the other without getting any response from the other roo.

They have only 6 hens between them and no one seems to be getting too much attention from the boys. Does this naturally have to change for the worse?

Love, Smart Red

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by