Bloody Bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyfitz100, Feb 21, 2014.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    The last few eggs I've gotten from a particular hen (I have 2) have had blood on them. I thought a trace here or there might be normal, but according to my daughter, there was more today. She said the hen was standing a little by herself, and when she turned around, her bottom was gross and bloody. She tried to get a picture, but the rooster kept getting in the way. Any ideas? Also, both hens are getting a lot of action from both roosters (one rooster will knock the other off and jump on) and the girls are losing feathers on their backs. Is this harmful or just irritating? Do I need to get rid of a rooster?[​IMG]

2. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't tell a lot from the picture but first I would bring the hen in and soak her bottom in warm water with some epson salt in it for about 20-30 minutes. After she soaks you will be able to gently clean the area and get a better view of what is going on. It could be prolapse, a wound or an internal injury but no one will be able to tell until you can clean her

Good luck! I'll be off and on all night so I'll check back soon :)

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you just have two hens and two roosters, I think you have to get rid of both roosters, or get more hens. Your hen has had her vent pecked, maybe because she had a little blood from a large egg, or a prolapse as Deb55 said, but chickens will actually peck another to death if they see blood. Make sure that she has healed before putting her back in with the other hen, and take the roosters out and separate them.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Soon I will (finally) be home and we'll see what I find... Dumb question here, but how exactly do I soak her bottom? She doesn't love being handled, so this will be an adventure for everyone...

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would run the warm water in a tub or a sink, then pick her up holding her wings against her body just like normal, and set her down in the water. The water needs to be up to the bottom of her wings, and she should relax, but you may need to hold her in there.

6. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

you can also turn the lights off and cover her head loosely with a dry washclothe. the dark will calm her

7. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thank you guys for your help, but Big Fat Hen did not make it. Now of course I've had to separate Little Hen (the only hen left!) from the two roosters, because it was bad enough when there were two of each, but I certainly can't have 2 boys and 1 girl. Unfortunately, everyone is unhappy. The two roos are ticked off to have no women (I assume -- ha!) and they get VERY agitated whenever they hear the hen, who is in a small coop nearby. (They can't see her.). The hen was very angry and kept flying at the door (she's in a rabbit hitch right now) and will not take any snacks from me -- and she was always first to try and sneak food around the roos. She laid an egg a few hours after we put her in the coop, but when my daughter tried to check yesterday afternoon, the hen was on the box and wouldn't move. I checked on her before work this morning and she was still in the nestbox and COMPLETELY ignored me. It was weird. She didn't make a sound or even flinch. I just checked her food and didn't bother her. So best options now? Get rid of at least one rooster and buy some more hens about her age? I'm curious if she's laid another egg or if she's going on strike because her friends are gone! Also, should I let her out to socialize? Maybe let one rooster out with her?

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so sorry for your loss.i would get rid of some roosters and get some girls like you mentioned.i wish you the best. And again I'm so sorry you lost her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by