1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody Brahma Foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerintheDale, Apr 8, 2016.

1. FarmerintheDale

FarmerintheDale New Egg

Apr 8, 2016
    I have a young Brahma and the pokey feathers on her feet bleed sometimes. Is this a common problem with chickens who have feathered feet? Is there something I can do for better foot maintenance? I currently spray the area that is bleeding with Dr. Naylor "Blu-kote" and it helps, but I'm more interested in preventing foot injuries. I haven't seen anyone else in the coop pecking at her, she's kind of the leader amongst our younger hens in the flock.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Pin feathers, especially those on the feet, are prone to bleeding if broken. As long as she is out in a yard or in a coop with anything she can bump her feet on there is potential for breakage. I would not be too concerned unless it is happening very frequently. It will stop occurring as the feathers finish develop and dry up.

3. FarmerintheDale

FarmerintheDale New Egg

Apr 8, 2016
    Thank you so much! My daughter just went and checked on her and said her other foot is bleeding today :-/I can't wait for those feathers to finish developing so this problem goes away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by