Bloody Bullied Hen...Please Help!

Kate Shaw

Chirping
Jan 24, 2019
Avon, NY
I have a buff who was pecked at near her eyes and neck....she was hiding in the egg boxes for part of the AM yesterday. With sudden extreme temps in my area I was concerned she wouldnt come out for water. I removed her from the flock for the day and put her in the coop last night after the rest were in. This AM she was afraid to come out so I put her back in the crate, out of the run.
Is this what I should do? Should I remove the bully instead?
**the wounds were cleaned and treated**

I have a buff who was pecked at near her eyes and neck....she was hiding in the egg boxes for part of the AM yesterday. With sudden extreme temps in my area I was concerned she wouldnt come out for water. I removed her from the flock for the day and put her in the coop last night after the rest were in. This AM she was afraid to come out so I put her back in the crate, out of the run.
Is this what I should do? Should I remove the bully instead?
**the wounds were cleaned and treated**
How long have you had this hen?
Do you know who is bullying her?
How much space do you have in your setup? Can you post pictures please?
For the time being, I would set the bullied up in a 'look-don't-touch' crate with food and water in an area where she has full shade but will still be near the flock.

My above reply didn’t tag you ☺
I would put perches in the run about 30" off the ground. Branches work well.
Also maybe lean some old pallets against each other to form a triangle to hide under. The run needs more 'stuff'.
I'd also put a thick layer of wood chips in there for them to scratch through. I have access to a huge amount of free wood chips as the local Towns collect branches in the spring and chip or shred them and leave out huge piles for residents to take.

I agree, you run is way too empty. A bird can see any other bird in any position in the run. By putting up roosts, by adding pallets up on blocks you will make more use of the third dimension of space, the verticle.

But I would get that bird back in there ASAP as separating birds causes a lot of problems too. I would pull the bully.

I would put perches in the run about 30" off the ground. Branches work well.
Also maybe lean some old pallets against each other to form a triangle to hide under. The run needs more 'stuff'.
I'd also put a thick layer of wood chips in there for them to scratch through. I have access to a huge amount of free wood chips as the local Towns collect branches in the spring and chip or shred them and leave out huge piles for residents to take.
Great suggestions! Thank you!!! How long she I leave my injured girl separate?

What does inside of coop look like?
How many birds do you have?
Shade looks to be lacking...can they get under the coop?
Would be good to find out if one bird is after her or all of them.
Might be hard to reintegrate her, is she isolated within sight of the flock?

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590670318870.png

We purchased all of our hens at the same time about a year ago. Not including the space under the coop, the run is roughly 16x16’. I have 2 feeders and 2 waterers.
here are some pics including the injured (who looks much better today ☺️)

Attachments

• DD259AD9-0F9C-415A-958A-EA558218D38B.jpeg
    DD259AD9-0F9C-415A-958A-EA558218D38B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 56720104-75AB-4472-81A7-5EC4FB2B983D.jpeg
    56720104-75AB-4472-81A7-5EC4FB2B983D.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 11
  • A287E507-0E8E-4135-90A9-F70979C6A94D.jpeg
    A287E507-0E8E-4135-90A9-F70979C6A94D.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 10
How long have you had this hen?
Do you know who is bullying her?
How much space do you have in your setup? Can you post pictures please?
For the time being, I would set the bullied up in a 'look-don't-touch' crate with food and water in an area where she has full shade but will still be near the flock.
My above reply didn’t tag you ☺️

I agree, you run is way too empty. A bird can see any other bird in any position in the run. By putting up roosts, by adding pallets up on blocks you will make more use of the third dimension of space, the verticle.

But I would get that bird back in there ASAP as separating birds causes a lot of problems too. I would pull the bully.
Her wounds have scabbed....I added 2 Perches and a bale of straw. I’m working on a pallet structure and expanding the run. I let her out and she was scratching around and looked pretty happy, but then she retreated to the coop and wouldn’t come out. Then I was worried she would get beat up again when the others came in-I can see blood on the top roosting bar where the fight probably happened- so I separated her until the rest were in and then put her in. Is that what you would suggest?

Back
Top Bottom