1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody butt turned into protruding pooper/rectum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hayley3, Aug 20, 2007.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    At first her vent/rectum was bloody, now my little silkie chick keeps getting poop stuck to her pooper. This thing is sticking out 1/8 inch from her body. I think this is what is called a prolapsed rectum, but I did a google search and didn't find anything. So maybe it's a prolapsed vent????
    I can't research what to do for it, because I don't know what it is rectum/vent?

Thanks,
    Susie

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I just went through that with one of mine. Wash it good in the sink with warm water and apply a paste made out of sugar and a little water. This is what the vet told me to do. You need to keep the chick seperate so the others do not peck at it. I left it like that for a while and then i cleaned it up again and tried bacitracin (sp) or some other good clear antibiotic stuff and leave it for a while. Someone here told me honey which i tried too but i think it was getting better already. Mine was a boy and he healed VERY fast by these things. Good luck.

3. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'm glad yours recovered.
    I read about preparation H working really well too, but that was mainly for hens.

I cannot separate mine. I only have two and they cry so much when they're not together. I watched and the other one only pecks at the wet feathers after I get the crusty poop off. They're still sleeping alot too since they're newborns.

Do you remember how long it took to get better?

Thanks,
    Susie

4. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I saw a change within hours.....maybe like 2 to 6 hours. If you look up my posts, you will see where i posted about it.

5. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I did see your post but your picture was not visible. I found another post and although they said it was prolapsed it was not the same as my baby bird.
    Mine extends out 1/8 inch and is really big for a pooper to be sticking out on a baby bird.
    Do you still have that pic?

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Prolapses unfortunately often are caused due to genetics. I'd seriously never breed a bird with history of prolapse, you're asking for big trouble! But that's really awesome you took the time to get her back to health, whereas many people would have just eaten her.

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Email me @ rebel102@comcast.net and i will mail back the pics.

its been 2 weeks and he is fine.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by