Bloody butt?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johndeerematt, Jan 8, 2014.

1. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    [​IMG]
    I do believe This fine young lady (a Dominique) but I have no idea what.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she pecked by the other chickens, or does she have a prolapsed vent? Can you give more details--the picture is hard to make out? Be sure to separate her away from others so that she isn't pecked to death. A warm epsom salt soak may help clean her up, then look closely at her injuries and dry her thoroughly. Another close-up picture might help. Here is some information about a prolapsed vent: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    I was more worried about coccidiosis. The vent looks completely normal, just noticed she had a poopy butt (it was a white color, and looked runny) and there was blood all around it. Looked at the link to the prolapsed vent, definitely not that. She wasn't pecked at all by the other birds, she is so flighty nobody else touches her! I'm thinking I should start a Corid regimen to be on the safe side.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid or amprollium dosage is 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liqid to a gallon of water for 5 days. After treatment vitamins and probiotics, or a small amt of yogurt is needed for a few days. Sometimes worms can cause blood in the stool as well as diarrhea. Fenbendazole, Safeguard, and Panacur are good wormers.

5. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Will do, thanks! Will also keep posted on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by