Bloody butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jsz2009, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jsz2009

jsz2009 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Pa
    Hi, I'm having issue with my chickens
    A redstar kept having blood on her eggs last couple days and her butt was really sore and she passed away, now two weeks before I had a white leghorn that pass on it
    I'm trying to figure out what the issue is
    Now looks like one of my reds are starting to bleed while laying eggs
    Any help will be great !!
    Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    New layers can occasionally have a blood smear on an egg. You may have something more serious going on such as vent pecking by one or more of the chickens. If the eggs are overly large, then hens could be in danger of getting egg bound, or suffering a prolapsed vent (or both at the same time.) If a hen suffers a prolapse, others may peck her to death, pulling out the insides. So I would look for any blood in the droppings which might indicate an intestinal disease such as coccidiosis, or capillaria worms, but I would suggest spending some time while observing their behaviour. Separate any aggressive chickens. Make sure they have plenty of room, at least 16% protein in the diet, and that they can get outside to range every day to prevent boredom.

3. jsz2009

jsz2009 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Pa
    Thanks
    I don't see any blood in the stool
    There about 2 years old I believe
    I just notice the eggs were getting bloody everyday when she laid then after four days she died
    She was one that laid everyday for me, the egg seemed alittle larger but not much tho
    Far as I can see there not really fighting and I have a red light in there, hear that calms them down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by