1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody chick being bullied by molting chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLA-girl, Apr 3, 2012.

1. FLA-girl

FLA-girl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    My chicks are molting, and so far they've been just grooming each other, no bullying. Unfortunately, today I looked in to find they were picking apart one of their brooder mates. I rescued her, but no before she got some bloody parts. She seems OK in here own little brooder box, but I'm not sure what to do now. Do I leave her there until she heals or longer? I assume she'll need her own waterer and feeder for a bit...

Right now my chicks are on pine shavings in a big plastic tub with a white brooder light.

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Try some Dr. Naylor's Blue Kote antiseptic from the feed store/tractor supply on the wounds. It turns the wounds blue so it helps to cover up bloody spots which just attract the chickens to peck. I'd keep her separate for a little bit and then see if you can reintegrate her back with the others.

Red brooder lights can help with pecking too since it colors everything a little pinkish.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. FLA-girl

Apr 3, 2012
    Well, I got some powder, the people at the feed store told, rub dirt on it, it keeps them from seeing the blood. I'm going to try two brooders with the bullies in one and injured chicks in another. We'll see how it goes...

4. FLA-girl

Apr 3, 2012
    HAH! Update, I found THE bully, and have managed to get everyone else to get along now with a red light bulb. The bully is in isolation, as we can't put her in with the others without disaster occurring.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Might want to either consider getting rid of that one or try keeping her separated for a period of time, like a week or two. When you put her back she will have to re-establish herself in the pecking order and may settle in. Or she may not, you'll just have to watch her closely in case she starts up with the same baloney again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by