Bloody chicken butt

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SneakyWaffles, Apr 29, 2017.

1. SneakyWaffles

SneakyWaffles New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    Hi, I have a chicken, about two, who has had issues with her butt for a long time, Poo would always stick to her butt, and feathers won't even grow there anymore. Anyways today I noticed that her butt area is bleeding! (It's bled before, but this time it's really bad). I couldn't investigate because I had to leave for work, but I came home and it looks horrible. I feel bad for her what should I do?? [​IMG]

2. SneakyWaffles

SneakyWaffles New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    The one with the problem is sitting in the middle beside two bantams, who were pecking at her rump today. (Probably didn't help the bleeding any)

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

Separating her and bathing the area in luke warm, with salt added would be a reasonable first aid measure, but the photo doesn't show the extent of the injury. If you can, I'd suggest trying to take a better pic and then posting in the ER forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

Good luck
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. Yardbird22

Yardbird22 Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    Hey, I'm new to the site as well. I was just getting on to introduce my self,and see your post. You need to separate her from the rest of the chickens they will keep picking at her and cause real damage. As for treating her, I would suspect she has a bacterial infection due too the prolonged poopy butt you mentioned. You need to wash the area well with an anti-septic. Keep it clean and dry and she will be fine. But make sure you separate her, because the other chickens will rip her open. I hope that helps.

2 people like this.
  5. SneakyWaffles

SneakyWaffles New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    Sorry I know the pictures bad. And we've giver her a couple baths before, and her issue just comes back. But I will give her a bath, and try to separate her. Thanks :)

6. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Try some blue kote on her bum after thorough cleaning and drying. It seals everything up and the other chickens won't go after a blue bum like they will a red one. Comes in a spray in livestock section of feed stores

1 person likes this.
  7. Yardbird22

Yardbird22 Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    If it keeps coming back, it may be a fungal infection which is harder to treat fungal infections can be hard to kill. Hard to tell with out a better picture. You might try an Antifungal cream and apply it daily for at least 7 days. I would keep her separate till she was completely healed and the redness has subsided. So, that they are not tempted to pick at her, and cause it to flare up.

8. SneakyWaffles

SneakyWaffles New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    I have some more pictures (sorry if they're gross)[​IMG][/IMG]

9. Yardbird22

Yardbird22 Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    I think it is part to do with the other chickens picking at her it looks very inflamed more so then infected. Tho I'm sure there might be sum infection. I would clean it well, and use blue lotion spry as the other member suggested to seal it up. I found that a vitamin E cream with tea tree oil works wonders on open wounds on chickens it keeps it moist and soft so that it can granulate and speeds up the healing process and the tea tree treats bacterial or fungal infections.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by