Bloody chicks. How much space needed for 24 3 week olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SycolinWoodsChickens, Apr 26, 2011.

1. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is my second year brooding chicks and we are having a horrible time with this bunch. I just pulled out a chick that was bloody and being attacked by the others. There are several of the chicks that are ripping out feathers or pecking vents constantly.

I"ve lowered the wattage in the lamp to 100 watts and it's 2 feet from the floor.
    They have a sand box.
    They are being fed start and grow. plus cooked eggs plus an occassional worm.
    They have pine shavings to scratch in.
    They have roosts at three different heights to play on.

I do not know how many birds are doing the pecking - at least 2 or 3 but I don't have them banded yet to figure out the culprits.

Maybe we need more space?

Any other ideas? I have to go to work tomorrow and am worried I'm going to come home to a disaster.

2. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Forgot to add that they are under a red lamp.

3. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    Buy You Some Blue Kot, And Spray The Wounds, They Like To Pick At The Red Color.. I Have Had Some Troulbe Too, You Might Change The Light ?? Good Luck I Know It Is Terralbe That This Happens..

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I just decided to turn out the light completely. The room is 75 degrees with the turkeys also brooding in another pen so I think they will be fine.

The baby had a lot of damage to her throat area. I've washed the area, applied bacitricin and blue-kot and moved her to another pen by herself. She is in shock I think so I"m keeping a close eye on her.
    She has food and water and a stuffed animal to snuggle up to.

I have a very, very large pen in the garage and I may move them out there this weekend. I also might pull the roos out into a grow out pen.

BTW, they are in about 18 square feet of space. From my research up to 4 weeks 1/2 foot per bird is required. They are way over that so I still have no clue what the issue is with this bunch.

Anyone have any other ideas????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by