Bloody colored butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hayley3, Aug 17, 2007.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I just hatched two baby silkies and one of them has a bloody butt. I don't know chicken anatomy very well but it seems there are two holes with blood on them. Not a lot, but it looks like dried blood.

Does anyone know what that might be and anything I can do? The other baby is not pecking it.

I had a similar problem in March in some quail but was told it was an egg sack infection but giving antibiotics didn't work, so I'm not sure that's what it was. Also could it have spread to this chick in 8 hrs? Or is this a common malady?

Any help appreciated.

2. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Not sure, but it could just be dried blood from the egg. Some of my hatched eggs had just a little blood on the shell after hatch. I was thinking it was just from the veins in the egg. All are healthy.

Jennifer

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Two holes... one would be the vent and the other might be the unhealed naval. The unhealed naval is the one that can bleed if it gets picked on or if it's all dried up, is prob left over from hatching out.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Is it a big blob or just smooth with a little dried blood?

5. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I took a picture but can't figure out how to post it. It's not very good anyway but does show the locations. He was not happy to have his butt up in the air.

It's not smooth. It looks like a tiny cluster of bone and dried blood. Looking more closely at the one not his poop hole, it looks like a hole with the cluster protruding.

6. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I had a couple of babies hatch like that. I do not know why they were like that, but it was just a little blood. I dried off the blood as best I could so as not to attract the other babies. The little navel healed up in a day or two, no problems.

Lisa [​IMG]

7. MandyH

Ok, here is my best guess without seeing it. It is a rough navel. It is usually caused by hatching too early, or humidity too high during hatching I think. DO NOT pull on any strings or let the stringy stuff hang on anything. It will pull their entire guts out. If they are left alone they will resolve themselves usually.

8. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Okay, sounds good to me about the navel.
    Why is there blood around the poop hole/vent?
    I'm just so worried. I need these little guys to make it.
    Thanks so much to everyone for their thoughts and advice!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It could have just smeared there since they are just hatched. If it is fresh blood though, watch for chicks pecking at each others vents.

10. MandyH

I don't know why there would be blood around the vent either unless like silkichicken said and it smeared or they are pecking at it. You can take a warm wet rag and wipe GENTLY and clear it to see if it comes back or if it was some left over from the inside of the egg?! Just taking a stab in the dark here. Let us know tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by