Bloody comb!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tortega18, Apr 9, 2016.

1. tortega18

tortega18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    So idk if my hen got her comb stuck in her chicken tunnel or the other hens picked at her but her comb on the back end is completely off her head and bloody!! The middle front is still attached. I took her out and put some blood stopping powder and also put some antibiotic ointment. I have her in a cage on our covered patio with food and water. She's panting sitting in the back I'm sure stressed. Is she going to be alright??? The bleeding did stop with the powder. Is seperating her more stressful on her? When can I put her back in the coop and run with the others?? Any additional info on this will help! First timer here!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo?
    You may want to leave her separated overnight. Put her in a warm quiet area with food and water.
    Once she is calmer then you can put some plain neosporin or vetericyn spray on the comb to help it heal.

3. tortega18

tortega18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks. I put a blood stopper and then a lot of antibiotic ointment . I didn't have neosporin on hand. She's in a dog crate on the covered patio. I will keep an eye to make sure there's no infection developing. But it's like half off her head. Will it fall off?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's possible it might fall off , but generally they will heal fairly well (just look up "torn comb" here on BYC). It sounds like you are treating the wound very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by