Bloody comb

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
These two marans are in with two other hens, brahmas. They have been together since October and I haven’t had any behavioral problems. Is this a pecking issue or a frostbite issue?

They’re in a pallet coop that has plenty of ventilation. I didn’t board up the pallets but put a tarp over it instead. On the top I have left gaps in the tarp so air can escape. But I fear it might not be enough. Or they’re getting too cold. It was supposed to be temporary and the snow has made it impossible to construct it better.

The tips of their combs have been slightly black since I got them but I think it has gotten darker. A reason why I think it might be frostbite. I have started to let them out with the rest of my flock, since they have been healthy and bug free for months, so that is why I’m thinking pecking.

Marans 1
A5DBD607-24BC-43DE-B560-26033F087D72.jpeg
B6CBE843-0D7A-4078-9825-524775BB2B2F.jpeg

Marans 2
0F7BB41C-D95C-4EF5-B727-AB3C90AE9E65.jpeg
E8A61D3F-A75A-4604-96B1-78DEA8EA2FDB.jpeg
A47F4214-8745-485A-B3E7-C097D094F69A.jpeg

To me it looks like a slight frost bite problem that has led to pecking/fighting on the second bird.
Dang it. I was afraid of that. I had a feeling the black on their combs was frostbite because of the tarp on the coop. Any suggestions on how to treat her? Besides fix the coop. I’ll be fixing it this week. Since it’s starting to warm up here I might actually be able to get something done. I know prevention is key and I flubbed that up. 😕

It's not really that bad. I doubt that the first bird will have any permanent damage, and the second may just lose comb tips. Hopefully the worst of the really cold weather has passed. Temps 'down here' are really moderate for the next ten days, and hopefully yours are the same. I'd just keep an eye on your birds to assure that the pecking/fighting does not escalate.

Back
Top Bottom