Bloody comb.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmclay, Dec 17, 2010.

1. kmclay

kmclay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    My little banty rooster's comb is bloody and shriveled up looking; also black around the edges. Is this frostbite? He's been through worse winters, so I'm puzzled. I brought him inthe house for the night, he is staying downstairs. [​IMG] Any advice please? Should I just put him back out there? Will the other chickens get frostbite too? Advice on medication? Again, these chickens have lived through worse conditions.....so I'm confused.

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:Ouch, sounds bad. I don't have any advice but I wanted to bump the thread so someone with more experience might see it.

Also, if you use neosporin make sure it isn't the variety that includes pain relief (it is toxic for chickens).

3. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    My rooster has the same condition, but it doesnt appear to have been frostbite but chicken bites.. my other roosters have attached the Alpha male and his comb looks bad. I have since moved my other roosters out of the coop and I only hope that it grows back and heals. Plus his head feathers are gone from picking... no help here unless you can compare your roosters comb to what my roosters appear to look like.[​IMG]

4. Jessica1228

Jessica1228 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I think I’ve seen what your describing. Do you have a pic? We have a little cock fighting in the beginning of winter. As it gets colder and colder they start deciding an in-door pecking order. When ours do this it looks like frost bite around the outer edge but usually has a few cracks or peck marks. How much is her bleeding (like normal cut or profusely?) The antibiodic ointment works well in the winter. You can also try Hooper’s Comb Cream. It does a good job at healing cuts, keeping others away (smells like death), and protecting frost bite. It’s hard to find but I’ve found it online for around $4-5 bucks. Hooper’s is out of Clair MI if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by