Bloody Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TEXASSCENT, Nov 21, 2011.

1. TEXASSCENT

TEXASSCENT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    I Have An Adult Rir With A Bloody Comb. I Know They Will Keep Pecking At This Chicken. What Do I Do To Stop It?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you can let it alone, the blood will just scab over and then the other chickens won't really notice it anymore. Maybe just separate him from the flock or allow them all to free range so he can protect himself.

Also, you could wash that off and give it a good coating of Blue Cote spray. The chickens aren't attracted to the bright blue color, plus it aids healing.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 [​IMG]

4. TEXASSCENT

Aug 10, 2011
    Ok...i Put Some Blue Cote And Rooster Booster On Her Comb. They Tasted The Gunk On The Comb And Didnt Like It. She Spent The Night Sequestered In A Dog Crate. They Did Their Free Range This Am. They Left Her Alone. Her Comb Is A Chocolate Brown Now. I Hope They Leave Her Alone In The Run. She Is Still Laying So I Am Guessing She May Not Be Too Traumatized.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Good to hear that!

6. TEXASSCENT

Aug 10, 2011
    She Has Healed Up And Has A Purple Comb. The One Big Hen Still Is Chasing Her And Pecks Her Neck. She Stays Away From All The Rest. She Is Still Laying And Looks Healthy. Maybe They Just Dont Like Her For Some Reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by