Bloody Combs and Wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myduckistink, Jan 22, 2013.

1. myduckistink

myduckistink Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    I went out to the coop today and noticed that two of my three roosters have bloody combs and wattles. On one, the comb is hardly bloody, but the wattle is bloddy on the inside. On the other rooster, the comb is bloody, but the wattle is not. What causes this and what can I do to prevent/cure it?
    Thanks!

2. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Are your roosters kept together?

3. myduckistink

Jul 24, 2010
    yes. They are very nice and tame. Could they have been fighting? I forgot to mention that one of the roosters also has black spots on his comb. This has never happened to me before, but could they have a frostbite type thing?

4. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    The blood could have been from them fighting but I'm not sure of the black spots on the comb, one of my roo's has them but I live in GA so I don't think it could be frost bite.

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Quite possibly. Even the best roosters can be mean (to other roosters). Is it very cold where you live, right now?

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I am sure they had a little fight. They will heal up really fast and be back to normal.

Hopefully this has sorted out who is the boss...and there should be no more fighting.

But if they start fighting again you might have to re home or keep them separate from each other - as a serious fight can lead to serious injuries or even the death of the birds.

The black spots could be fowl pox. They will also recover from this most cases easily (unless its a severe case). After a couple of weeks the spots should be gone. Just boost their immune system with lots of vegetables and good quality food. If they start look sick you should take them to a vet, but if its just the spots on the comb (which it usually is) it will not be a problem.

7. myduckistink

Jul 24, 2010
    It's not too cold where I live right now, I mean, the chickens have seen colder. It gets about 15 F in the nighttime, but I keep 2 heat lamps in the small coop, so it is noticeably warmer in the coop than outside. Thank you so much for all the answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by