1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody Combs in Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JacobMaxwell, Jan 23, 2014.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    This afternoon I went out to the coop and I noticed that two hens had bloody combs. I immediately thought the worst (cannibalism) and decided to watch them for about 5-10 minutes. I saw no pecking, bullying, or meanness of any sort. I cleaned off the comb and I could only found a tiny cut that could barely be seen. I dusted the comb with flour, which stopped the blood, and it has scabbed over. The other hens have not been pecking the comb at all.

All seems very well but I'm a bit worried that this may happen again. I also wonder how this might of happened, and how such a small cut could bleed so much.

Any help is appreciated.

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    It could be frost bite. Our rooster had it pretty bad at the beginning of winter. After reading many threads on here, I tried Vaseline. Even when our temps dropped to -20's, he and the girls were fine!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Combs can bleed pretty heavily when pecked. Do you have a rooster who may have hurt them while mating?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by