Bloody Combs?

Ladybug922

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, I have 16 hens (6 BOs, 3 RIRs, 3SW, 2 BR and 2 Auracanas) and 1 Silver Wyandotte Rooster. For the past couple nights when I have brought in their food to refresh and refill it, there has been a varying amount of blood on it. Upon inspection of the girls, it seems as though some of thier coombs are bleeding. I have no idea why. Is this a normal occurence? Is this a pecking order thing? They were all raised together I would think they would have that worked out by now. My Rooster is pretty aggressive, is it possible that he is the cause of this? Or maybe the cold weather, they are getting cold and brittle and starting to bleed? Has anyone encountered this before and what can I do about it? I am in NY and it has dropped into the 20's for the past week or so at night. They have a large enclosed run and free range for part of the day as well. Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

P.S. One of their roosts is in front of a window that I have been shutting lately, the other window is still open to provide ventilation - would I be better off leaving both windows open? They are across from each other with one higher than the other (The other roost is below the other window) , While I was thinking cross ventilation in the summer, I was concerned about a serious draft this time of year.... Opinions?

Thank You! I'm still new at this, and I want my girls to be happy! :)

most likely another chicken... once chickens see blood its trouble. if your chicken gets a cut, they will turn into canibals and eat the bloody bird. Could have been another chicken, but with the blood they peck more often... I would clean the blood off and put some... vasaline on it to help it moisterize. then if there is blood the next day then you know the chickens are pecking them. they should be ok... just watch them for a bit.

best of luck,
Beautiful Jade

Back
Top Bottom