Bloody/detached comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandres, Nov 8, 2013.

1. sandres

sandres New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    I have three hens, just barely 6 months old. They get along well... we've never seen them pecking at each other, and they all sleep shoulder-to-shoulder on the same roost.

We came home this afternoon to find one of the hens with a bloody, nearly detached comb. It looks like it's hanging on by about a 1/4", and is drooping down over her beak (looks rather like a turkey, actually). The other hens don't seem to be pecking at her. Do I do anything about it?

I'm worried mainly about her discomfort and the possibility of infection. Are these things I need to worry about?

Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would isolate her and clean it up, then apply neosporin ointment. Since the comb will probably darken and become infected, I would see if your vet could remove the part that is flapping. There are some similar threads like this if you want to read a few. Some have cut the loose part of themselves, but you need to be very careful about bleeding and infection. Bloodstop powder would be a good thing to have. Do you think the other chicken did this, or a predator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by