1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody diarhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boobooblueeyes, Apr 29, 2009.

1. boobooblueeyes

boobooblueeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Cut and Shoot, Texas
    Bought some turkey chicks at the trade day this weekend and did the ultimate "no-no" I put them in with my other chicks. Today I noticed bloody stools in the pen and the chicks look kind of lethargic. The man at the feed store, who I find to be pretty reliable most of the time, says its probably cocidiosis (not sure of spelling). Am I on the right track and what should I give them for it. I have some souble Terramycin, could that help and how much do I give if so. Thanks for any help. I am feeling really stupid right now and don't want to lose all my chicks. Bonny

2. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    first is it chicken chicks or turkey chicks?

how old are these chicks and what kin?

coccidiosis is very harmful to any chicks

you got to medicated them with amproylium powder immediately

by the 4 day they will be dying

I would get corid amproylium or some kind of amproylium
    from a vet
    immediately

and use it in the wet mash recipe I giver

1qt of dry crumbles
    2 qts water
    in 1/2 of the water put 1 tsp of the amproylium ow mix with dry crumbles and use rest of water to make a nice wet medicated mash
    feed 1 tbsp per chick per turkey and get them going on medication

in the water put the medication of amproylium I would use 2 tsp per gallon of water to medicated them for two days then the 1 tsp of amproylium per gallon of water per day

feed the medicated wet mash for three days and then just the medicated water for 7 dyas

besure and medicated wet mash for three days
    and medicated water for full seven days

this will get them over the coccidiosis

all turkeys and chicks need medicating

Some information for you to read to teach your self on coccidiosis

Protozoan Poultry Diseases ... Chickens are susceptible to any of nine coccidia species, turkeys are susceptible to seven species and quail are susceptible to at least ...
    www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disproto.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Tis shows the turkeys had coccidiosis and your chickens could get the kind they drug home.

Do medicated for this

you may have to call Smiths Poultry Supply for amproylium if your vet doesn't have it. I would try the vet as time is important to NOT losing all of the birds

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply Home A family-owned business that offers poultry and game bird books, supplies, vitamins and medication. Located in Kansas, US.
    www.poultrysupplies.com/ - 164k - Cached -

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 - 7:30 A. M. - 3 P. M CST Monday-Friday

24-hour Fax. 913-533-2497

3. boobooblueeyes

boobooblueeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Cut and Shoot, Texas
    I was short space, put the turkey chicks in with chicken chicks, I think they are all about 3 weeks or so old, had the Turkeys since Sunday. Thanks for all your help. Bonny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by