Bloody diarrhea, dying 7 week old chicks. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolinaGirl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    This morning when I went out, my 7 week old Cochin was puffed out and unwell plus she had bloody poop. I ran in and checked online, sounded like cocci. I treated her for it with Sulmet and when I went back out to check about 30 minutes later, she had a convulsion and died on my feet.

It's getting worse... I had 9 seven week olds, I now have 3. All doing the same thing. Puffed out feathers, sitting in one place, bloody poop and before they die, they go into a convulsion then just collapse.

I've called every vet within an hour or hour and a half drive and none of them know anything about chickens and none of them will treat them, of course.

To make matters worse, these guys have been hanging out in my 6 month old pullets' coop during the day while they're out free-ranging. Tonight, I don't know about letting my pullets back in! Should I clorox out the coop? It has a concrete floor, etc...

Please help, I really don't want to lose another nor do I want to lose my beloved older pullets [​IMG]

2. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    OH I JUST WISH I KNEW! HOpefully you will get your answer shortly![​IMG]

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    If you can't information from someone tonight, tomorrow you should call someone at Texas A&M Poultry Science Extension. Here's their contact information: http://gallus.tamu.edu/

Do
    you have a clean place to move your flock to until you can get better information?

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Check you email I sent you a contact.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Did you find help?

6. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    sounds like coccidiosis

7. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks, Robinaggie... I did find help and it is coccidiosis.

Please keep your fingers crossed that the other 3 have a fighting chance. I'm doing everything possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by