Bloody Diarrhea

3JT

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
SE Wisconsin
Hi everyone. I am a new chicken owner. We decided to get chicks spur of the moment when we were stuck home with covid in spring. We really didn’t have intentions of keeping them and had arranged for a farm to take them once they got bigger. Now knowing what we know this was clearly poor judgement on our part.

We decided we loved the chickens and decided we wanted to keep them so made arrangements with the farm to keep the chickens until we could get our coop built which took longer than expected. We originally had 6 laying hens. A few days before we were ready to bring them home we were notified that 1 was sick and they didn’t think she’d make it. We were then notified that another had died. We picked up our 4 healthy birds and 1 sick one a week and a half ago. The sick one died the next morning before I could get her to the vet. The following day another started looking ill so I took her in right away. Diagnosed with severe coccidiosis as well as lice. Took her home and began to treat entire flock with liquid Corid 2 tsp/gallon for 5 days as well as treated lice. Unfortunately the sick hen died so I am down to 3 of the original 6.

I completed the Corid treatment several days ago and was going to take 1 week off then do another 5 day treatment. I was then planning to take in stool samples to vet for fecal float test again to see if we got it all. However, this morning one of my chickens is having bloody diarrhea alternating with clearish diarrhea. She is acting normally; scratching, eating, drinking. I immediately mixed Corid into the water again and also gave this bird a dose of Corid drench. Is this normal? Should I be doing something different? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It sound like you're doing a good job, just keep doing what you're doing. Did you notify the farm you sent them to of these issues? If your chicks have coccidiosis and lice, there is a good chance that all of their chickens have them as well. I hope your chicks get better!

I did notify the farm; they didn’t seem like they were concerned or going to address it. I’m sure their chickens have developed immunity to the strain of coccidiosis that is there and they said it’s impossible to keep up with the lice. Clearly not good animal husbandry …

Back
Top Bottom