Bloody drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My one drake the 'coon attack survivor ' is becoming aggressive with us... so how do i handle this?? he went after my mother last night when she was helping lead up the horses so obviously wasn't near the ducks they just happen to be in the area.

He's blind in one eye but otherwise is quite normal.. that was the only lingering injury from the attack... should i just get rid? i won't eat him.. sorry just not my thing [​IMG]

2. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I hate to sound snarky so please don't take offense but... he's a duck, not a pit bull. If you have horses you should be more than used to asserting your dominance even if the altercation becomes physical. Shoo him away, don't back down, kick him in the butt if you have to. Let him know you are NOT ok with that behavior. I would say though, if he is the only surviving bird you have from the attack and you don't plan to get more, it may be a better idea to give him to some one with ducks. Companionship is essential for these animals to survive and probably explains the agression on his part.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Yep! X2

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:X3

But if he only has 1 good eye, that may be contributing to his behavior. May not realize what is coming so is aggressive to fend off attack.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Um, first of all where is it stated he's the only 1? he's one of 6... and secondly this was my mother, i am more than capable of handling him and establishing my dominance, i handled a stallion on daily basis. I was curious how others handled aggressive behaviour, being i needed to give advice to my mother on how to deal with this should it occur again... she is a senior and was quite startled by this occurrence. Sure i have my ways, but i have no idea whether there are better ones.. that is why i inquired..

Lastly he came to her.. the flock was over near the manure pile which is on the pathway to the back paddock, so he absolutely was not taken off guard.

6. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Sorry you are having trouble. What I had to tell my mom when I have (different breed) a guinea hen with keets was to keep a eye out for him/ her and if she came at you boot his/her butt. I also found that if you see them coming at you with aggression then step toward the and say something firm that normally stops the short and of course boot them away if that does not work and if they keep coming back do it a little harder each time till they move on. Best of luck & I hope your mom learns how too put him in his place and stays safe.
    Have a great day yall!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am sure the attack on the duck has triggered some sort of defense towards a lot more things then before... we had a drake start this and we all just had to boot him, or like the poster said start charging him and yelling firmly! Usually honestly scared him and he would turn around Lol! We would laugh at the person charging him it just looked ridiclous but it worked![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by