Bloody Droppings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheBrumstead, Oct 20, 2011.

1. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    My girls are 4 and 5 months old. One started laying last week. They were on medicated chick starter till last week and are now on layer pellets. I've had them for about 2 months. This morning, there was a pile of bloody droppings and another that looked like mostly blood. No egg today, but there was a soft shell one yesterday. I don't see blood on any of them, no one is acting unusual. I didn't get any pictures, just scooped it up and tossed it. Help?

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Sounds more like the flushing of the interlining of the intestine than blood; which is normal.

3. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Was it actualy like dark blood like when you get a bloody nose or did it kinda look like raw hamburger . My chickens ocasionaly pass what looks like raw hamburger and i was told that it is intestinal lining and it is natural for them to pass this. Do youre chickens free range if so they could have worms my chicken had more of this in there poop when they had round worms. I would suggest paying close attention to there poop and the way they act for awhile. Keep us posted.

4. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    The one had what looked like chunky droppings in it, so yeah maybe like hamburger. It was bright/fresh blood color. They don't free range, we have two pairs of hawks nearby and I haven't been brave enough yet. I do give them handfulls of grass/weeds and fallen leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by