Bloody duck foot.... :( (long post... sorry, i ramble a bit)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Mar 26, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I went out yesterday to get the eggs from the chicken coop, and was distracted by a large (1 or 2 tbsps) amount of blood in the mud of the duck run... I hopped the fence (temporary fencing due to driveway issues) and grabbed the nearest duck... sure enough, 'dorothy' had a cut/tear right next to her left toe on her left foot... the inside edge of the nail has a cur tight next to it, like splitting the webbing 1/4 of an inch... and was just BLEEDING... so I hauled her inside, tried to apply pressure, you understand of course that these are not indoor, people loving ducks like Netties, these ducks are convinced that any minute we are about to eat them... though we consider them pets.... anyway, dorothy was less than enthused by my ministrations, so i popped her into the bathtub INDOORS (don't tell my husband!!!), which the kids had left full of water following a morning bath... it had a little bit of mild, hypoallergenic, organic bubble bath in it (you couldn't see it anymore, but i did put a squirt in when the girls had their bath), so i was careful not to let dorothy drink any.... i sort of swished her around in it, hoping that the cold water would slow the bleeding and help clean out the wound.... then i drained the tub, with the duck still in it, rinsed it out, and refilled it with lukewarm, clean water.... once it got so high that she had to float, she swam a little (mostly to avoid me) and i tried to sort of move her wings and get the water to wash all of the icky barnyard crap off of her.... then I dried her off (on my husbands sage green towel... which is now stained with duck blood....) and put a bit of neopsporin on her cut, wrapped her foot (i kind of just folded it up accordion style all toes next to each other) in a clean paper towel, then taped it with 1st aid paper tape... Then (sorry guys, i know this is long) I put her in a clean storage tupperware with pine shavings in it and an upsidedown laundry basket on top for a ventilating lid, and put all that in my daughters' room (it's my little one's duckie)... the girls were great, and left dorothy alone (i insisted that she needed quiet and peace to heal).... so this morning, when i went to change her water and give her food, she'd kicked off the bandage, but it wasn't bleeding anymore, and she refused to eat... so i thought I should put her back outside.. SO, i rewrapped her foot, looser so the foot is flat, put the foot inside a modified corner of a plastic padded envelope, the put the wrapped foot in a plastic bag and taped it.... so she's outside with her ducky friends, and was totally willing to eat with them, and I removed their pool, and just filled a bowl for drinking... is this going to be enough? What do I need to watch for? Anything I forgot????

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I think you have it covered! My geese cut themselves all the time it seems, especially over the winter when there was ice everywhere.

3. One of my drakes had a bleeding cut last summer, lost maybe a tablespoon of blood. I just washed it and applied neosporin twice a day. The cut was high enough not to cause a limp. He healed up really fast. Ducks are amazing! I think keeping them at least within close sight of their beloved duck family is far more important than we can imagine to their health and well being.

4. chickensducks&agoose

went to town, to the P.Office, and came home, and bleeding again..... what to do?

5. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I don't know if this will help you at all. When we had our ducks as a kid, one of the duck's feet got stepped on by our horse. Squashed it and tore it up. For some reason, no clue why, my mom would put bacon grease on it twice a day. I was convinced it would never heal right, but it did. Was perfectly fine in a couple weeks. I can't tell you the details of why or how it worked. I wish I could, but she passed away 15 years ago. I guess I should ask my grandmom about it. She was probably the one that told her to do it to begin with. Your ducky should be fine. Just watch for infection.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    You can use a big huge band band with some gauze, i then wrap the bandaid with water proof medical tape, going around the foot rather than folding the foot. Ming Mei is inside and a small enclosed area right now and she's only been able to get the bandage off twice. If you bandage it up like above, and use the baggie method over that, it should help.

You have to watch that foot! That cut can easily get infected and she'll end up with bumble foot (which is expensive to fix! trust me!).

I've also heard of people using corn starch to stop bleeding... I'm not 10% though, see if anyone else can verify....

7. chickensducks&agoose

Really nettie, It's only because I've been reading your posts that I even took this as seriously as I did. I don't want it to get infected, I can't afford so much for vet visits, besides I don't think our vets even do birds... the only other real injury we ever had was when Mr. Goose tore off his toenail... but that was in summer, and it was real dry, so I just bandaided up that toe, and called it good... he was fine,.... now it's all so mucky, and goopy, and I'm sure it's teeming with bacteria, just waiting to infect my poor dorothy.... So thank you nettie, for sharing your experiences, it may just save dorothy's life!

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i would keep it as dry as you possibly can. Since your duck doesn't like being seperated from her friends, this method might work best for you. With ming mei i have her seperated right now. My other duck victor' had cuts on his feet and a scab every now and then didn't seem like a big deal, but now i'm going to be watching their feet like a hawk!

9. chickensducks&agoose

EEEEK!!!! I had dorothy in the tub today, for exercise, and to help keep that toe clean, and afterwards I inspected it, looking for either healing or worsening, and The whole claw part seems to be really loose, like it's cut away underneath, and only attached on the top part of the skin... like I can turn it totally sideways without her fussing... should I try to stick it back down? or clip it off completely? I am pretty sure the bone is not involved, it seems like the nail floats above the bone, and that middle place is the place that is cut...

10. WOW! Have you tried posting on the disease, injury, emergency forum?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by