bloody ear? *pixs*

chickencrazy21

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 22, 2012
west covina california
my smallest chicken which is a white leg horn has a bloody ear. Idk how it happen. I noticed it when putting away my chickens at night. Its slightly swollen. Btw her feet look funny becuz she had a cut so i sprayed blue kote on her feet. Also not sure why shes all raggity looking shes been that way for months. Ive looked its not mite or lice. Tho we did have a battle of leg mites. Im spraying monthly now for them just in case.

slight swelling

She may have an ear infection. I would give her some amoxicillin or clavamox or get some from a vet. For leg mites, you must wash the leg with soapy water once a week, and dry it, then apply an oil of your choice--castor oil, vegetable oil, vaseline, and then rub it in good, getting it under the loose scales. It will take weeks for new scales to grow in. You also need to clean out the coop and spray it for mites.

i have 30 chickens so washing there feet one by one would take alot. i called a local chicken breeder who said to give him a call if i have problems (vets here that actually treat chickens are scarce and if you find one its very expensive) he told me to use the permethrin spray mixed with water on there feet once a week for two weeks and make sure i clean there pen out and spray it down. ive done it all and just treat for precaution. ill have to call him and see what he says about the ear. i just kind of wonder why shes also so funky looking. there pen is easy to clean as its two metal dog crates. we made the mistake of buying chickens before building a coop. they do pretty good in the metal dog crates except when it rains. we live in cali so its ideal weather. i put fresh hay in the bottom of there cage and of course there buttheads and kick it out. its been on thing after another money wise as to why we havnt built a proper coop but they dont seem to mind. were going to buy a plastic shed and fix it for them since i hear plastics easier to clean than wood.

Back
Top Bottom