Bloody egg this morning, bloody poo tonight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greginshasta, Feb 10, 2009.

1. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    I was preparing eggs today (eggs were not today's but within the past few days) and when I opened one it was totally bloody. Not little spots of blood - so much that I wouldn't eat the others which were already in the bowl becase the amount of blood discolored the entire bowl.

This evening when I went to the coop to make certain the girls had all gone to bed, I found bloody poo below one of the roosts.

In the morning I'll inspect butts to see if I can tell who it is.

Any other suggestions?

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    keep a check for any more bloody droppings..
    and observe the birds for signs of feeling unwell..(such as hunched up..not eating as usual, etc..)

usually, they will roost in the same spot..
    might help figure out which one it is.

was the dropping runny?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    We have shavings on the floor - DLM. The blood had been thin and tended to dye the shavings bright red.

More news in the morning when I get out in the daylight.

thanks

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    check for pale combs and shanks.

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    What did you ever figure out?

6. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    It was a 1-time event. In the morning I could tell that there had been significant blood flow from one of the hens as she sat on her roost. But it didn't happen again, everyone is healthy and active, and no further bloody eggs were discovered.

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well one of my yr old EE laid a blood streaked egg yesterday and a horribly egg today, it was 100% covered in thick yucky blood.

8. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Sounds like a nasty blowout. Isolate the poor girl that's doing it and let her recover. If you can, get her to stop laying (feed for maintenance and decrease lighting, or force molt if you really have no other option). It happens sometimes. Blood vessels burst early in the oviduct before the shell is produced and the blood is encased in the egg. Be sure to watch them carefully. I would imagine that coccidiosis could do this as it affects the reproductive tract too. Watch for pale faces, pasty blood-tinged diarrhea, depression, soft-shelled eggs, and weight loss.

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:She's laying eggs that are too large for her size or age. She could become eggbound, watch your flock carefully. The egg is so large that is rips the tissue and blood vessels in the cloaca. One of my hens did this, and her flock mates tried to cannibalize her when they saw the blood. I got her out in time and let her recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by