1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bloody egg white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkyglory123, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Just cracked an egg into my oatmeal cookie dough and the white was bloody.Not a blood spot but actually bloody all through it. ACK. Pretty gross-the entire white was bloody. Hens all fit as fiddles-any idea what causes this? Anyone seen it before?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I had that happen one time but never again and I've had chickens for about 16 years. It does make you a little paranoid what you're going to see when you open one up.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I think a bloody egg white is quite rare, so dont worry about it unless you find it again. I believe it happens when a blood vessel bursts while the egg is being formed inside the hen.

4. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Quote:This is what I was told as well. If it happens again, then get concerned. Otherwise...maybe crack your eggs into a bowl before you crack them into your dough next time????

5. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    [​IMG]
    I do admit to taking a peek at the next one I opened! Just hope it does not happen to the city slickers I sell to they would freak [​IMG] out!
    (When my pullets started laying I told one of the women I work with who buys my eggs "not to worry because the eggs will get bigger." (meaning of course that as the pullets matured they would produce larger eggs) and she said "They will grow in the CARTON!?"
    I swear this is true![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:Thanks for that, I just spit out my tea! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by