1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dragracer, Nov 30, 2008.

1. dragracer

dragracer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I had a bloody egg today. Went to check for eggs and there was one that was covered in dried blood. Is this normal. I think this might be the first egg from this pullet. All the eggs I have gotten so far have been brown this one was white and small.

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's normal. A bloody egg is just the product of a blood vessel lying along the stigma. When the stigma ruptured to release the follicle, the vessel was ruptured along with it.

Usually it's just a one-time glitch, but it can be a regular occurrence in some birds. Usually it's more common in older layers and in beginning layers.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Common in new layers:)

4. dragracer

dragracer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. Probably a first egg.

6. Chick and Lady

Chick and Lady New Egg

Aug 14, 2008
    Lucerne Valley Ca
    Thanks for posting this question. I have been looking through these posting for a couple of hours now looking for the answer to my question.

Today I went inside the chicken coop to find to my surprise an egg laying on the ground. Most of the girls use the laying boxes and I found one egg in there too. The egg I found on the ground though was darker in color than what the other girls normally lay. It was a dark green and it was covered with dried blood.

Athena usually lays jumbo sized eggs that are light green/blue
    Gerdy usually lays large sized eggs that are light green/blue too
    And Polly lays little brown eggs...she is a batam chochin

The last of the girls is Izzy...she hasnt been laying at all.

So I'm thinking this is her first one.

The other girls have been laying for months so I have been concerned about Izzy.

Hopefully it is like you all say and this happens sometimes for first time layers.

I will have to keep an eye out for Athenas lay today. Hopefully she will lay an egg too so I will know for sure that this is indeed Izzies first lay.

Thanks again for saving me from worry.

Chick and Lady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by