CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
ADEC735D-3B24-49DF-8AA2-91AA22338CE9.jpeg
My best and most favorite hen, Joy broke an egg inside of her a week ago. After some meds to keep her from getting infected it happened again. Each time slowly the yolk would drain out of her system- but today she payed an egg shell with he insides full of blood and bloody outside. What is this? She tried to eat it so i took it from her. What does this bloody egg mean? She seems more energetic today, and when I have her her morning milk she tried to come out of her dog crate, like normal, so nothing makes me think she’s in pain from this egg. Here is a photo-

Is a vet an option?
Of course, however giving her hormones isn’t an option, and no matter how much I love my girl the spaying surgery is to much money. The vet told us to keep doing as we are, letting her live outside at night- 9:00 am, when we bring her inside and do her morning dose of meds, to keep her from getting infected. I will rest the vet and ask her what this egg means, if I can’t get anything from the BYC

Might be an infection of the oviduct and shell gland.
Oh I hope not! I’m trying so very hard to keep her going, and keep her from being infected by her broken/soft shelled egg problem (she has laid 3 soft shelled, broken eggs, including that bloody one. I can’t understand as her feed is supplemented with calcium, and she gets milk every day. it must not be a calcium thing) I’m just so upset

I would stop the milk and administer a daily tablet of calcium+Vitd3+VitK so the calcium will be absorbed properly. You could also bring her to your vet to administer calcium injection.

Milk leads to diarrhea in chickens as they are lactose intolerant. Feeding certain amounts of plain greek yoghurt or curds will be tolerated as the lactose is already metabolized.

Last edited:
I would stop the milk and administer a daily tablet of calcium+Vitd3+VitK so the calcium will be absorbed properly. You could also bring her to your vet to administer calcium injection.

Milk leads to diarrhea in chickens as they are lactose intolerant. Feeding certain amounts of plain greek yoghurt or curds will be tolerated as the lactose is already metabolized.
Ok, thank you so much! Would either option be expensiv?

I do not know what your vet will charge for the injection, but you could just use tablets for human consumption. They are relatively cheap and sold in drugstores, supermarkets etc.

Has she ever laid a 'good' egg?
How old is she, in months?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Are your other birds laying 'good' eggs?
I have a feeling this is not dietary issue, but a 'bum bird' issue.

Back
Top Bottom