Bloody egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Danigirl3, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Does any one have a picture of a fertilized egg? Meaning one that has been cracked open. I'm curious as to what they look like. I opened one of mine the other day and it was filled with blood. The white was tinted a reddish pink and there was what looked like blood clots in it. it was quite gross. This is the only one I have had like that. I sell the ones I don't use and am now worried about that happening again. I do have a rooster.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    A fertile egg has a small white bullseye in the yolk. A bloody egg is just that, an egg with blood in it. I get quite a few of them from just-starting-to-lay pullets, so I always candle the eggs I'm going to sell.

You can see examples of bloody eggs (and other weird stuff) on the Funky Eggs page at www.CountryChickens.com

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

4. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Thank you! That helps. The bloody egg I saw on countrychicken looks mild compared to the one I got. Fitting for Halloween I thought. lol Can you see the blood in the egg when you candle? The egg itself looked off to me so I wasn't selling that one but what a surprise when I opened it. I do collect a few times a day so none laying around for more than a hour or so I couldn't figure out what that was about. Thanks for the responses!

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by