Bloody egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tom e, Dec 23, 2010.

1. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    So after a long wait, five of my hens have started laying in the same week. The most recent one to start laying has given us one pretty blue egg (which we were hoping to get one blue, since we have a green and an olive and two brown eggs).. But when I broke into it soft boiled, and scooped it onto my toast, it was very bloody inside. I had a marans before who always had a tiny dot of blood in all her eggs and it never bothered me, but this thing was blood over the whole yolk and then even stained through the cooked white, and all the way to the shell in one spot.

It's her first egg and I haven't gotten one since (two days). Something else I should mention is that she actually surprised me that she layed all ready. All my other hens that have started have combs that grew larger and very red, hers is still a small 'spikey' pea comb, really light pink in color. She doesn't look ill in any way to me, just not mature. She's very active and vibrant in all other ways.

Also I should mention, I've assumed it was her who laid the egg, since I found her in the nest with the blue egg, and my other two EE's are definitely the layers of a large mint colored egg, and a small pointy olive colored egg.

Very odd- What do you all think of this? Something to worry about?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I am not sure so will give ya a bump to see if anyone else can answer. I have had small blood spot but not what you have described.

3. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    do you have any roos?

4. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    I do have one cranky little welsummer roo.. All eggs we've gotten have been fertile (judged so by the little white dot on the yolks) but this is the only one that has been bloody. I was under the impression that if the egg hasn't been set on (it was minutes old when I picked it up) that blood shouldn't have anything to do with fertilization?

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
  6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Most likely when she was forming the egg blood vessels (small) broke inside and got into the egg, bloody eggs have nothing to do with fertility.

ETA: Here is a picture of one I got a while back:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  7. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:one of out cochin hens had a similar problem. i thought it was something to do with it being fertile
    it could be nothing and it just has to work itself out

8. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    That's very much like what mine looked like there. So that didn't become a regular thing with that hen? I'm happy to know that!

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:Nope it didn't become a regular thing with her, it might have even been the only egg like that from her come to think about it. [​IMG]

10. LadyEnfield

LadyEnfield New Egg

My first few eggs from the girls was like that. Now it is very rare. Maybe 1 egg out of 5 will have a spot of blood in it. They aren't harmful to eat just icky looking. I always crack my eggs in a separate dish before I use them. I tell the people who buy them to do that too. If its too bloody my dog is always more than willing to eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by