Bloody Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tbrz70, Oct 19, 2011.

1. tbrz70

tbrz70 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why I would get an egg that has a yolk but is completely full of blood. There was no white at all. My chickens have just begun to lay and the eggs are still small and this is the first one that has been like this. I have seen a spot or two of blood on one or another..I have no roosters and am not sure what this is or why this particular one had so much in it. [​IMG]

Thanks for any info!

Tara

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Everyone has a bad day now and then. Blood is pretty normal...don't worry until it becomes an everyday thing.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    How many eggs have you gotten like that ?? I have never heard of that before but I know that when chickens first begin to lay it does take them some time for their plumbling to get all worked out. if it was just a one time thing all you really can do is just wait, If it continues try to issolate to find the one that's laying them and go from there.

4. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    Only got one that was completely full like that...but one here and there with a tiny spot in them...i always thought the ones that may have a blood spot meant they were fertile...but I guess I was wrong because I dont have a rooster!!

I will just give it time..we went from 3 eggs a day this past Saturday to 8 today!! So maybe they are just the newbies...I just thought I would ask if it was normal once in a while.

Thanks so much!

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The blood has nothing to do with a rooster. It is not a sign of fertilization, but a sign that the ova (folicle?) has some mis-firing cells in it.

6. tbrz70

May 28, 2011
    aahhhhh....ok....

<---------beginner here!! thanks for the info..doesnt bother me when i get the ones with a tiny bit! it was that one today that kinda freaked me out!

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    *giggles* I always get the nasty ones when I crack the egg into the mixing bowl instead of into a seperate bowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by