bloody egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledegg, Oct 25, 2011.

1. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    I found a bloody egg on the floor of the run today. Is it common for an already laying hen to lay a bloody egg? Just the outside of the shell is covered with blood. It wasn't any larger than her normal eggs. I honestly am not sure who layed it as I have a RIR who is close to laying (hasn't squatted yet, but I know they can lay without squatting) and a SS who is also close to laying. The egg was a normal sized egg though, which makes think it was from one of my already laying sexlinks. My GSL had just a drop of blood on her wing which so I kind of thought maybe the egg was from her. I guess we'll see how many eggs I get today. I've never found an egg covered in blood before though. Otherwise, everyone looks healthy and happy and no signs of other trauma that could have caused the blood.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    New layers can have blood on the outside of the shell as they adjust to laying. The egg doesn't have to be oversized for it to occur. I wouldn't worry unless you see a lot of blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by