bloody egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by soccerguy17, Jun 18, 2008.

1. soccerguy17

soccerguy17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    washington
    yesterday i collected eggs and i had to many so i went to cook some up for the chickens and one of the eggs was red all on the inside the white was like blood the yolk was orange and there were two large penny sized chunks of something dark red. :eek: any idea on what caused this i have a hunch one of my seven year old hens laid this, is it true when hens get older there eggs can be a bit off?

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    You mentioned no roo, so I guess fertile egg is not possible? I can't help you otherwise....sorry.

3. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I have had the same from a two year old pekin, blood inside the egg. I have no roos! Any ideas please.

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Someone at BYC posted a link to a site that explains how eggs are formed, and how blood spots and "meat" spots get into them. It has nothing to do with fertilization (which was what I always thought), but rather to do with the chicken forming the egg. I wish I had that link for you!

5. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Whenever we've had blood spots in our eggs they've just been tiny red dots in the egg...not totally blood like that. Not sure if we've just had small ones or what though...

I think they're caused by the rupture of a blood vessel whilst the egg is being made...? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by