Bloody egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbjdmd, Jul 30, 2008.

1. wbjdmd

wbjdmd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    I have a bantie that has been laying for well over 2 weeks in our nesting boxes. Yesterday I was cleaning out the run and found one of her oeggs in a corner with what looked to be a smear of blood on it. I took it inside and did the float test to make sure it was ok (it was) and the smear washed right off. Any ideas on what is going on? She is eating and acting normal.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is normal. You will occassionally see eggs with a smear. If it happens all the time flip up her bottom and see if there is a problem developing.

3. wbjdmd

wbjdmd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks, very new at this! I only have one laying now (out of 3) and I don't want anything to happen to her. I hope my others will begin laying soon. They were adopted and I don't know how old they are.

4. tressiah

tressiah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Beecher, Il
    Greetings from Beecher Il!
    I had a Buff that had blood smears several times on her eggs. I kept watching her, and checked her, and finally just attributed it to her first time egg production. It was a rather large egg for a small hen.
    Hope your baby is OK Good Luck~!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by