1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody eggs from welsummer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggcessive, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am starting to get bloody eggs from my 9 month old Welsummer. I have 2 of these girls, hatchery stock, and they have been laying for 3 1/2 months, but 1 has just started doing this almost every day for the last couple of weeks. I realize that they are okay to eat, but do any of you notice this with your chicks or welsummers?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Blood spots in the egg or blood smeared on the shell? I notice blood sometimes on the eggshell when one of my girls starts laying a larger egg than she previously has. I check the hen/pullet to make sure she doesn't have copious amounts of blood around her vent, but otherwise don't worry about it.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Do you have a rooster? Blood spots IN the egg mean that the chick may have just developed a little. But they're fine to eat.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    KikisGirls likes this.
  5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Gritsar is right, my girls on occasion will lay an egg with smeared blood on the shell. [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry I wasn't clear, but the blood is on the inside in the albumen. It was very infrequent before the past 2 weeks, now almost every egg of a certain chicken is bloody.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Okay, check the link I provided above. Try not to freak too much on the illness causes. IMO, those are much rarer than the other causes. Some hens just seem more prone to them than others.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thanks Gritsar for the link. I get 16-18 eggs per day that I love to share with family and friends, and only 2 girls lay these dark brown eggs. I can't tell the 2welsummers apart that lay them (only 1 is affected), so I guess we wil just have to keep the pretty ones for ourselves. There are a couple of green eggs for everyone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by