Bloody eggs in 1 year old...Can't find a solution. Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensioux, Mar 19, 2013.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have had this silkie for a year now. She is healthy in every way other than since she has been laying (since last year) her eggs have blood on them. It has taken me this long to figure out who it was. Of course everyone stopped laying this winter and since they all are picking back up, I was finding the bloody eggs again. This morning I finally saw her vent was a little bloody. How do you stop this? I can't seem to find any solution on line anywhere. Every thing I find says it will stop but it hasn't. Anyone know how to give her vent a rest? Thanks.

2. OrganicMamma

OrganicMamma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a Red Sex-Link that has been having the same problem. She seems fine but I'd like to know the cause too.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yeah, she seems fine but I can see the situation going downhill if I don't stop it. Anyone?

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

The girls lay a lot of eggs in the run of a year. Seeing blood on the outside of the egg is a common occurance. Your hens ovaduct or whatever you want to call it, the passageway for the egg sometimes has snug fits and there are many tiny veins that can temporarily rupture and leave a little evidence of blood on the outside of the egg. Do not worry too much but keep an eye out for eggs becoming too bloody on the outside if consistant...
    This usually clears up as you may find your hen not laying as often to give herself a break. I often thought about some sort of cure for this but I have no idea as to supplement or medication to clear this up. Time is the natural healer in my books there. Other people may have an answer for you . As well, some young pullets coming of age have the same thing happen as they are making space now for passing the egg. Hope this eases you tension a bit. Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by