Bloody eggs occasionally, blood and pus-like substance in vent today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chiral, Oct 3, 2013.

1. chiral

chiral New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    I've been getting bloody eggs occasionally for a while, I've suspected it was the same bird because the color of the shells is fairly similar. She's one of my 4 EEs, and they all lay slightly different shades of green.

I came home this morning and heard a new noise coming from the nesting box. I looked in and she was standing up, very tense and making a high pitched cluck cluck cluck noise and was about done laying an egg. She looked to be in pain, and the egg had blood on it, so I picked her up and looked at her vent. There was quite a bit of blood, and just before she seemed to come to and squirmed out of my grip, I saw what looked to be a bit of pus coming out.

Any ideas what's going on? They get free-feed oyster shell and all of their egg shells back, but I've found some eggs without shells. None of the green shelled eggs have been thin.

2. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Try some antibiotic for three or five days. Are the egg shells smooth. If yes ; she may have some bacterial infection in the track.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by