bloody eggs!?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by folly foot, Jan 25, 2017.

1. folly foot

folly foot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2016
    So I have four blue egg layers in my flock (americaunas) and this is the third time I've picked up a blue egg that has a bit of a bloody residue on the top... I have check all four girl and none of them have any evidence of blood around their butt or are showing signs of pain during and out of laying ... help any idea what to do?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Small streaks of blood on an egg's shell are not unusual -- the repro tract and vent are vessel rich and go through an amazing amount of distortion during the production/expulsion of an egg. All it takes is one little broken vessel to produce a bit of blood on an egg as it is passed. External examination will not generally reveal any sign of the broken vessel and, unless the bleeding is significant or other signs of distress are noted there is no need for concern.

3. folly foot

folly foot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2016
    Thank you... I was pretty worried that something was actually wrong. ... there is just a little bit so I didn't know if it was something minor or mayjor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by