bloody eggs

cowboy2

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 5, 2007
Last week one of my chickens laid an egg that had a little bit of blood on it. Two days later she did it again. The next day she was dead. Yesterday another hen laid a bloody egg and today she was dead. I still have 5 hens left and need some advice before they all die. It was below freezing for 20 days in early January but was warming up when the first hen died. I put a light in with them in December when they quit laying. About 5 days later they slowly started laying again. The low temp at night is now about 24 and the highs are about 43. They are in a 20' x 20' railroad tie coop that has a 4 foot opening all along the front. The opening is about 4' above the ground, and is covered with 1" chicken wire. There are two places they can roost off the floor. They have fresh water daily that is in a heated dog water bowl. They have been eating lay mash and i little pigeon feed. Any ideas on what the problem is?

This is very odd to be honest. Can you tell us what age they are?

I am thinking that if they are just starting to lay, then a few blood streaks are normal, and there may be a separate illness causing the deaths. Are there any other symptoms - odd poo, sneezing a lot, lethargy etc?

The two chickens that died were hatched in April and started laying late summer. They all seem to be healthy. I haven't heard any of them sneeze. Thanks for any ideas you may have. Mike

I just read an article in my Pheasant and waterfowl magazine. It appears that my chickens were egg bound. I guess when it gets real cold they have a prolem getting the eggs out. I have moved the light over the nest and haven't had a problem the last week.

Hello, I'm brand new to this site and to forums in general, but I had to comment on the eggbound thing. I had the same problem with one of my ladies last year, so I Held my breath and stuck my finger up there,(my husband thought I was hilarious) and broke the egg, carefully removing the pieces. She went through it just fine but it took her forever to trust me again!!! Not a pleasent thing to do but for the love of my girls, I'll jump through hoops.

I know this was an old topic, but I am curious. How did you know there was an egg in there that had not come out? I have some chickens with bare, red, swollen butts. They are laying, and on occasion there will be a little blood on an egg. They are not quite a year old and are just now getting the hang of laying. Just don't understand the odd behind thing.
Any helpful tips?

For those with birds having trouble laying start adding black oil sunflower seeds to their diet. This will help keep things lubed up better. As if feeding fattening treats, STOP as the birds could have a build up of fat around the oviduct causing the laying problems.

I was wondering about the fatness of the birds. Good thing to bring up. Wes knows everything! I limit the amount of corn to my chickens in the winter to be no more than 10% of their feed intake on the coldest of nights. If the chickens get too fat over winter, they will have a hard time laying when spring comes round. I've received many a chicken from others that were pure butterballs that have slimmed down quite a bit and I think are now much healthier. Good luck with your birds.

I am having some problems with my flock also - I have lost three chickens now - two recently and one about 6 months ago. They were all over 2 yrs but seemed healthy.

I have been watching the flock like a hawk lately and the only thing I notice is poopy rears and the loss of some feathers on their rears. I have had some bloody eggs here and there - could the hens that are dying be egg bound or is this a disease of some sort?

I have added a vitmain supplement to their water, I clean their nest weekly (they used to be so clean in their nests and now poop in them regularly) and I will add DE to their coop and feed.

I do not feed extras, just Natures Best layer pellet, clean water (with the vitamin supplement) and they are all free range (access to over 5 acres of pasture, etc.)

Ideas?????

ccr, you didn't mention a worming program. There is a possibility it could be internal parasites. Take a fecal to the vet to be checked.

Back
Top Bottom