Bloody eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepdaddy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. peepdaddy

peepdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Wolfe co.
    About 1 week ago I cracked an egg and thought maybe it looked a little too orange, almost red. I didn't pay too much attention at the time. Last night I cracked one and it was extremely bloody. There was something else in there too but there was so much blood I couldn't see what it was. I collect my eggs daily and it's been really cold so I don't think it could have been a developing chick. Any ideas about what this was?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    sometimes you will get a blood spot. No biggy, think that might have been your first one. A fertilized egg that has begun to develop, will look like what you are describing, but not in one day, takes many days. Go check out here, they have pictures of the development. I can hardly believe that one is developing in this weather, (course it was -20 here this morning) and I am not sure where you are.

If it does look like the pictures of a developing egg, and you have a roo, you might need to look around, do you have a broody?

Or it could be a fluke of nature, and may not happen again.

MrsK

3. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I had that happen once with one of my chicken eggs too and I collect them every day as well. I just considered it a blood spot and scrambled it for the dog, lol. It's not a big deal, and I haven't seen one that bad since.

4. peepdaddy

peepdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Wolfe co.
    Thanks for everyone's replies! I've seen blood spots. Last summer I had a broody and I was a day or so late collecting those eggs. This looked like someone mixed about one-half a teaspoon of ketchup with the egg. At most only a slight exageration there. The white of the egg looked like red jell-o.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by