Bloody eggs......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by INchickens, Sep 22, 2008.

1. INchickens

INchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been selling my eggs, and I've had a couple "comment" that their eggs were bloody. One customer said it looked fine when they cracked it open to fry, but when they dipped the toast into it, the yolk was bloody. The other said that there were blood specs in the egg. From the amount of eggs we've had, this is a small percentage, but none the less, I probably won't get repeat customers if they aren't happy with them.

We gather eggs daily, and refrigerate immediately. There is NO chance the eggs were missed when gathered....if I ever find one that I'm in doubt about...I pitch it.

Why are the eggs bloody?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Maybe they are meat spots. Some hens just are prone to them. They are harmless.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

4. INchickens

INchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Indiana
    what exactly are "meat spots"..... Please explain. Thanks

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I've gotten a few of these, but they are rare and my hens have been laying for the better part of a year. If I understand correctly, bloody spots or meat spots are from the sluff off of cells in the ovaduct of the chicken, and sometimes just happen. When you buy eggs from big suppliers, they use some machine to sort these eggs out of the main line--not because there is anything wrong with them, cook them as normal, no problem--but because people sometimes get funny about them.

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:This is what I have heard as well. I too would say that they are meat-spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by