Bloody Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaessa, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    One of my ducks (Peek) is laying eggs that have blood spots in them. One of the ones I opened this morning had quite a bit of blood in it. I'd say probably one out of every five of her eggs has this problem.

Question: Is there anything I should be giving her to help prevent this? Is she damaging herself by laying so many eggs?

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    No access to grass, but I feed them peas and I've started feeding them kale. I guess more kale will help, and I need to do it every day I need to get some sod put down for them to have grass in their pen.

Thanks!

5. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

How big is the pen? Ducks are notorious for destroying grass. Can you get grass clippings from the lawn? I worked hard on growing a 8 by 8 grass patch and put it in their pen... all the grass was wiped out in a matter of weeks. I'm gonna try growing it in pots this year so they can eat grass while they are in their pen. Then switch some of the pots so the grass can recoup from being mauled by ducks...

6. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    It's probably about 20x20(ish).

I like your idea with the pots!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by