Bloody Faced Babies!

Pookypoo87

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 17, 2015
I have a small mixed straight run flock: two Silkies, an Orpington, and five low quality salmon faverolle. They are all about 1-2 months old. I went to feed them this morning and noticed two of faverolle that I am guessing are male look like this. What is happening?!? What do I do!

Attachments

• EB75E20E-8313-49F0-8560-50B269FCDCC6.jpeg
    EB75E20E-8313-49F0-8560-50B269FCDCC6.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 22
  • E9BF5D53-DE05-4643-A6C2-F186B3F611DE.jpeg
    E9BF5D53-DE05-4643-A6C2-F186B3F611DE.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 19
Maybe pecking injuries. I would definitely separate them from the flock because the more red the other birds see the more they will peck. And you could just clean very gently around their eyes. I’m not sure if you should use an ointment to help it heal or not with it being so close to the eyes. Poor babies. I’m sure someone with more experience will chime in!!

Where is your brooder, could it be bugs or possibly mites? But my first guess would be that one is the bottom of the pecking order and is being picked on. I would observe for a little while - once a chick gets a little wound the other will peck at it. See what’s happening in your brooder.

I have a small mixed straight run flock: two Silkies, an Orpington, and five low quality salmon faverolle. They are all about 1-2 months old. I went to feed them this morning and noticed two of faverolle that I am guessing are male look like this. What is happening?!? What do I do!
Probably from fighting.
How much space do they have?

6.5’x2.5’ - I need to give them more space soon.
I hadn’t planned to have as many but the faverolle breeder just gifted me four more when I bought one! I let them roam free in the yard when the weather is nice but it has been raining almost non-stop the past two weeks.
I planned to rehome the males when they are big enough to know for sure which is which - I can’t actually have males within city limits.

6.5’x2.5’ - I need to give them more space soon.
I hadn’t planned to have as many but the faverolle breeder just gifted me four more when I bought one! I let them roam free in the yard when the weather is nice but it has been raining almost non-stop the past two weeks.
I planned to rehome the males when they are big enough to know for sure which is which - I can’t actually have males within city limits.
Is there a way to give them more space now?
8 youngsters in that space are going to be on each other's nerves. It will escalate.
I know...I have 2 pens about that size (a little bigger) that I lock youngsters up in at night and I also house a couple of adults in one. Closer quarters than I like, but for night security only.

I understand the rain, but if possible, let them roam a bit, provide them with some outdoor space, cover an area with a tarp, etc. I have a hen and chicks that roam when it's lightly raining. Heavy rain they either work their way back to their run or they find shelter under bushes or some other structure.

Is there a way to give them more space now?
8 youngsters in that space are going to be on each other's nerves. It will escalate.
I know...I have 2 pens about that size (a little bigger) that I lock youngsters up in at night and I also house a couple of adults in one. Closer quarters than I like, but for night security only.

I understand the rain, but if possible, let them roam a bit, provide them with some outdoor space, cover an area with a tarp, etc. I have a hen and chicks that roam when it's lightly raining. Heavy rain they either work their way back to their run or they find shelter under bushes or some other structure.

Thanks! It has been years since I have had chickens so I am rusty in a lot of things, I will get them more space.

Back
Top Bottom