Bloody feathers around vent

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
One of my Pekins , Scuba, tends to get crappy looking feathers and a messy vent anyway, yesterday I noticed the feathers around her vent looled bloody, no stains in the house I could see, no one picking on her and she was acting her normal self. Today it warmed up enough to get a pool filled, with a little bath time she cleaned up ok and seems happy, no more noticeable blood, no one is yet laying eggs either.
I had been thinking to spray with blue kote, but some reading finds that it’s harmful to preening waterfowl, is there anything i can use? Should i be using any?
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony
@Isaac 0

Crappy pictures

Attachments

• 8C477AB0-ED02-453D-859C-E54FF98EB022.jpeg
    8C477AB0-ED02-453D-859C-E54FF98EB022.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 3D5600A9-A933-4377-845C-BC2538A992E7.jpeg
    3D5600A9-A933-4377-845C-BC2538A992E7.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 3
it is for sure a prolapse? Vaseline or Ky jelly both work fine
Well, it had a little bit of pink poking out, about the size and shape of a piece of used bubble gum.
When i pushed it back it poped back out, then when I pushed it in and worked it around a little bit, it seemed to pop inside out, the whole thing was maybe as big as my fingertip to the first knuckle. It was a lot like getting your glove finger turned right side out after pulling it off.
Seemed to stay in after that. I then buttered her bottom with vasaline and sent her on her way.
I also now have to deal with a bumble on her foot, but i was loosing light and she didnt seem to be slowed down by it so I figured one crisis a day was enough for her.

Be sure to check first thing in the morning that it stayed in, you don't want that tissue to dry out. Kind of weird she would prolapse and not be laying. Not that it hasn't happened before but not the norm.

Be sure to check first thing in the morning that it stayed in, you don't want that tissue to dry out. Kind of weird she would prolapse and not be laying. Not that it hasn't happened before but not the norm.
I haven’t seen this before, but as I said, she’s a bit of a mess when the water is frozen. Havent found any eggs from anyone

Back
Top Bottom